Sunday, September 13, 2009

TO SEMESTER 4 STUDENTS: CARDIOVASCULAR PATHOLOGY

Dear All,
One week ago, with Diseases of the Heart and Blood Vessels you started a new semester. There is no need to emphasize the significance, social and economic impact of those disorders. Luckily, the proper pathologic processes which affect Cardiovascular System are not very complicated; many pathologists, including me, believe that within the course of Systemic Pathology, diseases of the heart and blood vessels is the easiest part to learn and to deal with. Nevertheless, in my opinion there are few topics, which usually create difficulties for learners and therefore deserve special attention:
1) Heart failure, especially its pathogenesis
2) Differential diagnosis of vasculitides
3) Cardiomyopathies
4) Congenital heart diseases
If you have any problems with those topics or with any topic from Diseases of the Circulatory System, you can ask my right here. If necessary, next week we can organize a session, like “Pitfalls in Cardiovascular Pathology”, where we can go through the pathologies you choose.
Sincerely,
Michael Yakubovskyy, MD

2 comments:

Nathan Amrine said...

Dr. Yakubovskyy, I was wondering if you could elaborate on why the squatting position is common in pts with Tetrology of Fallot. The only explanation I have found is that it presumably lessens the right to left shunt. I've tried to dig deep into my physio knowledge to explain it but can't come up with an answer that is satisfying. Thanks.

Michael Yakubovskyy said...

Hi Nathan,

Thank you for the very interesting question. Because I am regularly asked about TOF and squatting and because I prepared a diagram, which I can not post here, I will publish the answer to your question as a separate post.

I hope you will find my answer explanatory.

Good luck,

Dr. Y.