Thursday, September 17, 2009

Heart Failure, Part 3. Afterload

Afterload can be defined as stress (or tension, T) that cardiac wall experiences during systolic ejection. According to LaPlace law, wall tension is directly proportional to intrachamber pressure (P) and radius (r) and inversely proportional to wall thickness (h): T=PXr/2h.Therefore, changes in chamber pressure, volume and/or wall thickness will affect afterload and, correspondingly, stroke volume.

Factors influencing pressure (P)
  • Blood pressure. Intrachamber (left/right ventricular) pressure during systolic ejection is very close to the pressure in the aorta or pulmonary trunk. That means, in cases of systemic or pulmonary hypertension, elevation in ventricular pressure will automatically increase afterload. And visa versa, reduction in blood pressure will reduce afterload. 
  • Valvular stenosis interferes with chamber empting and causes accumulation of blood with subsequent increase in pressure (and volume)
  • Congenital heart defects. E.g., atrial and ventricular septal defects, and patent ductus arteriosus increase pressure (and volume) load on the right chambers  
Factors influencing radius (r)
  • Valvular insufficiency leads to reverse blood flow with an increase in chamber volume 
  • Dilated cardiomyopathy 
  • Valvular stenosis (see above) 
  • Congenital heart defects (see above)
Factors influencing wall thickness (h)
  • Myocardial hypertrophy with an increase in sarcomere mass and reduction of wall stress 
    • Physiologic myocardial hypertrophy seen in athletes
    • Pathologic myocardial hypertrophy as a compensatory process in patients with cardiovascular diseases, e.g., systemic hypertension
  • Ventricular aneurysm, e.g., in old MI, with sclerosis and thinning of the wall
  • Advanced heart failure with volume overload (thinning of the myocardial wall)  
How afterload affects stroke volume? An increase in afterload (P, r, or h) reduces velocity of cardiomyocyte shortening. Because of short period of systolic ejection (0.2 sec), stressed cardiac muscle does do not have enough time to contract properly and to expel blood from the ventricle. Therefore stroke volume goes down. At the same time, accumulation of blood within the chambers will increase end systolic volume and, subsequently, end diastolic volume (or preload). Elevation of end diastolic volume will activate Frank-Starling mechanism, which partially compensate a reduction in stroke volume induced by afterload increase.

Amendment: Pharmacologic correction of afterload
  • Vasodilators: reduction of blood pressure with subsequent afterload decrease
    • Beta-blockers
    • ACEI/ARBs
  • Nitrites: potent venodilators, used in acute heart failure (e.g., pulmonary edema) to reduce preload
  • Human BNP analogs: vasodilatory and diuretic effects
  • Diuretics: reduction of volume of circulating blood and blood pressure with subsequent diminishing in afterload
    • + preload reduction
To be continued

2 comments:

Anneke Sergio said...

Here is a great herbal doctor who cured me of Hepatitis B. his name is Dr. Imoloa. I suffered Hepatitis B for 11 years, I was very weak with pains all over my body my stomach was swollen and I could hardly eat. And one day my brother came with a herbal medicine from doctor Imoloa and asked me to drink and I drank hence there was no hope, and behold after 2 week of taking the medicine, I started feeling relief, my swollen stomach started shrinking down and the pains was gone. I became normal after the completion of the medication, I went to the hospital and I was tested negative which means I’m cured. He can also cure the following diseases with his herbal medicine...lupus, hay fever, dry cough, diabetics hepatitis A.B.C, mouth ulcer, mouth cancer, diarrhoea, liver/kidney inflammatory, eye cancer, skin cancer disease, malaria, chronic kidney disease, food poisoning, parkinson disease, bowel cancer, bone cancer, brain tumours, asthma, arthritis, epilepsy, cystic fibrosis, lyme disease, muscle aches, fatigue, alzhemer's disease, acute myeloid leukaemia, acute pancreatitis, chronic inflammatory joint disease, Addison's disease back acne, breast cancer, allergic bronchitis, Celia disease, bulimia, congenital heart disease, cirrhosis, constipation, fungal nail infection, fabromyalgia, (love spell) and many more. he is a great herbalist man. Contact him on email; drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com. You can also reach him on whatssap- +2347081986098.

Unknown said...

I had my TL a little more than a year ago when my third child was born via c-section. I was not told ANYTHING about the possible side effects of having this procedure. Since then I have experienced heavy bleeding lasting sometimes 3 weeks out of the month, weight gain, severe mood swings. Severe cramping, changes to my libido, severe depression accompanied by suicidal thoughts, headaches, migraines, many new symptoms & older issues are now exacerbated. The father of two of my children doesn't want me anymore. I've become too much of a pain in the ass I guess. We don't talk. We don't sleep in the same bed. I think he might really think I am crazy... & maybe I am. I feel crazy a lot of the time.
I'm unpredictable. I feel so angry about the whole thing & now what was once a mild fear of doctors has exploded into full on white coat syndrome that causes me to have a panic attack/hypertensive emergency (severe increase in blood pressure) whenever I have to deal with them. I'm not sure what to do... I fear the next time I have to see a doctor I'll have a stroke or a heart attack from the stress & anxiety of it... what do I do? I take my time and keep searching on internet looking for natural healing that how I came across Dr Itua herbal center website and I was so excited when Dr Itua told me to calm down that he will help me with his natural remedy I put my hope on him so I purchase his herbal medicines which was shipped to my address I used it as prescribed guess what? I'm totally healed my cramp pain is gone completely I also used his Anti Bacteria herbal medicines it's works for me very well I want anyone with health problem to contact Dr Itua herbal center for any kind diseases remedies such as Parkinson, Herpes, ALS, MS, Diabetes, Hepatitis, Hiv/Aids,Cancers, Men & Women Infertility, I got his email address  drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com he has any kind of herbal remedies for women & men also for our babes. I really miss my Hunni...he's a fantastic father & a good man. He doesn't deserve this. I feel like an empty shell of who I used to be.